Chennai: A day after the probe into the murder of a 24 year-old IT professional was transferred to the city police, the family on Tuesday expressed confidence that the culprit will be brought to justice soon.
“We have much confidence in Chennai Police. I think they will find the culprit and produce him before a court of law,” father of the victim Swathi, Santhanagopalakrishnan, said.
He rued that his daughter’s body remained at the Nungambakkam station, where she was found murdered with cut injuries on Friday last, for two and a half hours and “passengers remained mute witnesses.”
Meanwhile, the BJP’s state unit staged a protest here demanding justice in the case. Party’s state unit President Tamilisai Sounderrajan and other senior leaders participated in the protest held at Valluvar Kottam here.
Congress National Spokesperson Khushbu Sundar called on the family of the victim and consoled them. The actor-politician visited Swathi’s residence at Choolaimedu here.
She later told reporters that the issue should not be politicised “although there are some lapses on part of the government” like absence of CCTV camera in the station, and regretted that no passengers had come forward to help the victim. They could have even called an ambulance, she said.
Even if one of them had taken a picture or video of the alleged attacker on mobile phone, it would have helped in identifying him, she said, adding, people should come forward in such incidents to help the victim or overpower the attacker.
She also expressed concern over what she termed as “speculation” on social media and platforms over the motive behind the killing.
Swathi (24) was found murdered at Nungambakkam railway station here, triggering an outrage in civil society and among political parties.
The police had come under criticism as no headway has been made in the case so far although cops had released CCTV images of a suspect.
The Madras High Court had also come down on the state government, warning it of suo motu intervention if there was any slackness in the probe.
The state government had subsequently transferred the investigation of the case from the Government Railway Police to the City Police yesterday.
Meanwhile, the city police said the investigation was on the right track and appealed for information from the public. Police released the mobile phone numbers of six officials probing the case, including K Shankar, Additional Commissioner of Police, who could be reached by people for sharing any information in connection with the incident.
As many as eight special teams have been formed to crack the case, they added.