Deal with SPI Cinemas cancelled last month: Sarath Kumar

Sarath_2591525fActor Sarath Kumar, former president of Nadigar Sangam, and Ramki at a press meet in Chennai on Monday.

“I hope that this puts a full stop to all the allegations against me. The constant talk of corruption during my tenure leading up to the election has hurt me a lot,” he said.

After losing a closely-fought Nadigar Sangam election, its former president actor Sarath Kumar sought to clear the air on allegations of corruption made by Team Vishal by making a surprise announcement here on Monday. “On September 29, I cancelled the agreement that I, as the president of Nadigar Sangam, signed with SPI Cinemas to develop the Nadigar Sangam property,” said an emotional Sarath Kumar.

“I hope that this puts a full stop to all the allegations against me. The constant talk of corruption during my tenure leading up to the election has hurt me a lot,” he said.

When asked why he did not reveal it to the media before the elections, the actor said that he was not sure how it would be construed.

“I could have gone one up on the other side. But, when I spoke to my close friends, they told me that it could be used against me by saying that I have cancelled the agreement because something is fishy about it,” he said, adding, “They [Team Vishal] can still say that this cancellation was done yesterday, but I am only telling the truth.” He further said that he was going to announce the cancellation of the agreement after the election. “I was confident of winning the election and I thought I must announce it at that time. But, today, I want to come clean on the deal,” he said.

Without going into the details of the agreement, Sarath Kumar maintained that he got the best deal he could get for the Nadigar Sangam. “I still maintain that it was a good deal and there was no corruption involved,” he said. This revelation comes a day after he said that he would attempt to explain the merits of the deal to new office-bearers of the Nadigar Sangam. Sarath Kumar added that he would not like to hold any position in the organisation but would be willing to provide support and advice if the new president, Nasser, seeks it from him.

“I am always available if required, but I do not want to hold any position,” he said categorically.

He also said that he would present an audit of expenses as Nadigar Sangam chief to the new office-bearers in the coming days.

Pin It

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *