Chennai: Alleging irregularities in flood relief activities in Chennai and surrounding districts, DMK chief M. Karunanidhi on Monday sought an enquiry headed by a sitting Chennai high court judge into the charges.
He said several lakhs of people affected by the floods in December 2015 were not included in the list of flood victims. The state government had released only Rs 2,640 crore as per the information given in Governor’s address, but the same speech had stated that the Centre had allocated a fund of `8,481 crore, the DMK leader said.
The Opposition parties had demanded that an all-party committee should be formed to distribute flood relief, but a committee was not formed, he said. He further said Chennai was affected since Adyar, Cooum and Kosasthalai rivers, besides the Buckingham canal were not desilted.
The funds allocated for desiltation had not been spent. If the works had been undertaken before the floods, the loss of lives and property could have been avoided, Karunanidhi said.