Nun rape: Centre rejects West Bengal plea for CBI probe

INDIA_RAPE_PROTEST_2355130fIn this March 21, 2015 photo, a girl walks with others in a silent procession in Kolkata protesting the gang rape of a nun at a convent at Ranaghat. Poster reads “shame” in Bengali.

Mamta Banerjee had announced that her government had recommended a CBI probe “considering the seriousness and sensitivity of the case”.

The Centre on Friday rejected the West Bengal government’s request for a CBI probe into the gang rape of a nun at a convent in the State’s Nadia district that caused a nation-wide outrage.

Senior officials in the Union Home Ministry said that a recommendation of the West Bengal government had been received for a CBI probe into the nun gang rape case and it had “expressed regret”, officials said and added that the decision had been communicated to the State government.

“Considering the seriousness and sensitivity of the case,” State Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee had announced on March 19, 2015 that her government had recommended a CBI probe and also assured to provide all necessary cooperation and assistance to the central agency.

The nun was gangraped by dacoits at the Gangnapur school in Ranaghat subdivision of Nadia district on March 14, 2015 after which a West Bengal CID probe was ordered into the incident.

The CID have arrested two persons, both Bangladeshi nationals, in connection with the case.

Pin It

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *